The film revolves around the life and mind of musician José González. Using congenial methods; video diary, surveillance camera, concert footage, tour documentation and animation, directors Fredrik Egerstrand and Mikel Cee Karlsson give form to something as elusive as the creative process of one of Sweden’s finest – and most secretive – musicians.
In the film we follow José González through intimate and unique scenes shot during work with the long-awaited second album “In our nature”. In his studio, at home and on tour. Through a diary, based on personal voice recordings we follow his everyday reflections. Thoughts on the photons way from the sun to our eyes, Darwinism, the struggle to write songs. The film gives us an exclusive insight into the, at many times, lonely creative process and of one persons attempt to manage and understand his own existence. The film was shot over a three year period on location in Sweden, Japan, Singapore, United States, South Africa, England, Chile and Argentina.
Opening film and in competition at GIFF 2010.
Shows and competition at Hot Docs!, Toronto, If! Istanbul, CPH:Dox, In-Edit Barcelona and more.
- Title: The Extraordinary Ordinary Life Of José González
- Length: 74 min
- Release: January 2010,Göteborg International Film Festival (Opening film)
- Director: Fredrik Egerstrand & Mikel Cee Karlsson
- DOP: Fredrik Egerstrand
- Producer: Plattform Produktion
- Production: Plattform Produktion/Egerstrand&Blund / Swedish Film Institute/Film i Väst/SVT